SIS: A Wireless Laptop School|
In August 2006, Surabaya International School became one of Indonesia's first wireless, laptop schools. Each enrollee in grades 6-12 is issued a school-owned laptop computer to assist them in meeting the demanding needs of a 21st century student. This cutting edge program includes:
SIS is regionally recognized for its cutting-edge use of technology. Lessons have been redesigned and technology has been integrated across the curriculum to support the teaching of higher-order thinking skills. We make sure our students have the opportunity to make the computer a standard learning tool in all academic areas.
- A campus-wide wireless computing environment including a hard-wired connection to and from the teacher's housing compound.
- An extensive variety of paid online resources including periodicals for individual and group research.
- A comprehensive online virtual school component to supplement regular classroom instruction: (http://portal.sisedu.net/eschool).
- An online student information system (Power School) which provides parents and students with up-to-the-minute information about assignment/test scores, attendance and teacher comments.
- A fast broadband Internet connection to all of the school's over 500 computers.
- A technologically advanced teaching staff with the skills to prepare students for the academic challenges that await them on the university and professional levels.
In addition to each secondary student and faculty/staff member having exclusive use of a wireless laptop computer, they also have access to school software, on-campus support, the SIS network, email and server storage space. This innovative educational approach creates a dynamic learning environment in which students and teachers can access up-to-the-minute electronic information as well as work at levels of complexity impossible without electronic tools.
Web-based research is the norm at SIS. Students engage in interactive, internet-based activities and utilize software to evaluate acceptable use of online resources. Interactive assessment and survey tools are used during the presentation of lessons to gauge student understanding. Engagement and understanding help students brainstorm and map concepts throughout the curriculum.
Teachers integrate collaborative lessons into their curriculum and students are able to share information with small groups or entire grade levels with the touch of a button. Common network space allows all students to post and trade files related to the classroom.
Teachers and students use the Moodle online course management system for communication, assignment posting, discussion boards and online testing. Moodle is available on and off campus via the Internet. With the addition of the PowerSchool student information system, parents and students have anytime, anywhere access to student grades, notes and teacher comments allowing for early intervention.
In addition to the integration of technology across the curriculum, SIS's large Computer Science program offers technology-centered electives. Every student begins with a basic software applications course before choosing to further their studies in one or all of the following areas: computer architecture, multimedia, robotics, web design and A+ certification. Students enjoy hands-on work within every aspect of the technology curriculum.
SIS Technology Mission Statement:
Surabaya International School's technology mission is to interface technology with the educational process by providing the tools and environment that allows all members of the school community optimum personal and educational growth through the infusion of appropriate technology into daily school learning.